26 Şubat 2024
AVRUPA GEZİLERİM

THE NATİVİTY OF CHRİST CATHEDRAL – RİGA / LETONYA

The Nativity of Christ Cathedral (Latvian: Kristus Piedzimšanas pareizticīgo katedrāle, Russian:Христорождественский кафедральный собор), Riga,Latvia was built to a design by Nikolai Chagin and Robert Pflug in a Neo-Byzantine style between 1876 and 1883, during the period when the country was part of the Russian Empire. It is the largest Orthodox cathedral in the Baltic provinces built with the blessing of the Russian TsarAlexander II on the initiative of local governor-general Pyotr Bagration and bishop Veniamin Karelin. The Nativity of Christ Cathedral is renowned for its icons, some of which were painted by Vasili Vereshchagin. During the First World War German troops occupied Riga and turned its largestRussian Orthodox cathedral into a Lutheran church. In independent Latvia, the Nativity of Christ Cathedral once again became an Orthodox cathedral in 1921. ArchbishopJānis Pommers, a native Latvian, played a key part in the defence of the cathedral, including defence from the Latvian government which was extremely unfriendly to Orthodox Church in the first years of an independent Latvia. In the early 1960s, Soviet authorities closed down the cathedral and converted its building into a planetarium. The cathedral has been restored since Latvia regained independence from the Soviet Union in 1991


Letonya: Kristus Piedzimšanas pareizticīgo katedrāle,  Mesih Doğum Katedrali, Riga.

Letonya Rus İmparatorluğunun bir parçası iken 1876 ve 1883 tarihleri arasında Nikolai Chagin ve Robert Pflug tarafından Neo-Bizans tarzında bir tasarımla Yerel genel vali Pyotr Bagratin ve piskopos Vaniamin Karelin girişimiyle Rus Çarı Alexander II tarafından bu Baltık ilde büyük Ortodoks Katedrali inşa edildi. İsa doğuş Katedrali Vasili Vereshchagin tarafından boyandı, onun bazı simgeleri çok ünlüdür. Birinci dünya savaşında Alman askerlerinin Riga’yı işgali sırasında Büyük Ortodoks Katedrali Lutheran Kilisesine döndü.  Letonya bağımsızlığına kavuştuğunda bir kez daha Mesih Katedrali Nativity 1921 de Başpiskopos janis Pommers tarafından tekrar Ortodoks Katedraline dönüştürüldü. Letonya Hükümeti Ortodoks Kilisesine dostça davrandı ve Letonyanın bağımsızlığına kavuşmasında ve savunmasında Letonya’nın ilk yıllarında Ortodoks kilisesinin de önemli bir rolü oldu. 1960 ların başında Sovyet yetkililer tarafından Kilise kapatılarak bir planetaryum binasına dönüştürüldü. Letonya 1991 yılında Sovyetler Birliğin’den bağımsızlığına kavuştuğundan beri restore edilerek Katedral olarak kullanıla gelmektedir.

KAYNAK: VİKİPEDİ, ÖZGÜR ANSİKLOPEDİ

FOTOĞRAFLAR 2016 YILINDA ÇEKİLMİŞTİR.